Jan 31, 2020
Pre-emergent season has arrived in Oklahoma! And the crowds cheer (O.K. maybe only in my head). But these pre-emergent applications are the back-bone to all weed control programs. Pre-emergents keep a lot of weeds from coming up in the Spring and early Summer.
When I am traveling out of state, I am often asked "Why do some companies in Oklahoma spray the fake green or blue dye onto lawns? I normally giggle and explain that it is mainly a marketing technique to remind neighbors that it is time to get their lawn sprayed for pre-emergents. (I often relate it to how I used to keep the oven door cracked when i had the broil setting on. One year my grown daughter asked me why I had the oven door open. I laughed -- because my mother and grandmother always did it that way.)
At Irish Green Lawn Care we want to challenge the reasoning behind using green dye and give you some information on WHY Irish Green Lawn Care does NOT use dye.
- A lot of our customers have pets. Take a look at the green dog below. While we know that brightly dyed hair is currently in style, we are assuming you aren’t necessarily wanting a bright green fur friend walking around in your house on your nice clean carpet.
- Green dye has no benefit for your lawn or soil. A priority at Irish Green is to reduce synthetic chemicals by using organic components such as probiotics and microorganisms. These organic additions to our treatments allow us to use spoonfuls, rather than cupfuls, of the more harmful synthetic chemicals. With that goal in mind, why apply green dye to the lawn when it adds no nutritional benefits and proves nothing except that green dye was put on your lawn.
- Cracks in sidewalks and driveways. Our technicians spray the cracks in the sidewalks, driveways, and right up to the fence line. Additionally, we train our technicians to "trim around the edges of the lawn", where weeds often appear first. After all, the grass is supposed to be green, not your driveway!
Another popular question - "So if you aren’t using green dye, how can I know that you actually treated my lawn?” or “How does your technician know which areas he has sprayed and which he hasn’t?”
Each of our technicians are trained to notice the light natural tint of the treatment so that they can ensure that they’ve sprayed your entire yard. We also train them to see their own footprints in your lawn. When you spray lawns all day, it is easy to learn how to see what you have or have not treated.
However, we understand and want all of our customers to feel confident that their entire lawn has been treated and treated well. So we guarantee our services with a free service call if it is ever needed. More specifically, this time of year with our cold temps, after two weeks since your last treatment, you should be able to see the weeds curling or turning brown. But if you don't see this, we will gladly retreat those weeds and address your concerns at no charge. Oh..and our customers LOVE this new feature... after EVERY application, we will send you a quick email asking you to let us know if you are completely happy with each application! Simply "click the stars" so we can continuously measure your happiness!
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to give us a call or send us an email. We also have instant chat on our website.
Safer. Better. Greener.
Jan 30, 2018
This time of year bright green/blue sprayed lawns are popping up, but you will see that Irish Green lawns are NOT dyed, and here is why we choose NOT TO DYE…..
Take a look at the green dog above; while we know that brightly dyed hair is currently in style, we are assuming you aren’t necessarily wanting a bright green fur friend walking around in your house on your nice clean carpet. Additionally, a priority at Irish Green is to reduce synthetic chemicals by using organic components such as probiotics and microorganisms. These organic additions to our treatments allow us to use spoonfuls, rather than cupfuls, of the more harmful synthetic chemicals. With that goal in mind, adding green dye adds no nutritional benefits to your lawn and proves nothing except that green dye was put on your lawn.
We want to take care of the “forgotten” parts of your lawn. We treat the cracks in your sidewalk and driveway to kill any weeds. If we used green dye, there would be green lines and streaks staining your cement. We also treat right up to your fence line and against your home and porch/deck. If green dye was in our spray we would have to stop short of these areas to prevent staining which leaves more opportunity for weeds to grow in that spot.
So “if you aren’t using green dye, how can I know that you actually treated my lawn?” or “How does your technician know which areas he has sprayed and which he hasn’t?” you may ask….
Each of our technicians are trained to notice the very light natural tint that our treatment does have so that they can ensure that they’ve covered your entire yard. We also train them to see their own footprints in your lawn, and when you spray lawns all day, it is easy to learn how to see what you have or have not treated.
We want all of our customers to be able to feel confident that their entire lawn has been treated and treated well. This is why we guarantee our services with free service calls. If a week or two has passed since your treatment, and the weeds are not curling or turning brown, we will come back out and retreat those weeds and address your concerns at no charge.
Irish Green Lawn Care is committed to excellent customer service. Our goal is for you to have a lawn you love and your neighbors will envy!
Feb 16, 2017
How to kill probably the most hated weed: Stickers (aka sandburs/goat heads) in your lawn
Can you have a “sticker-free” lawn? YES, but you must be vigilant and it is a process. As you already know, stickers/goat heads are not for sissies. Getting rid of stickers is just as hard as living with them. But…GOOD NEWS, we can guide you through the process and YES YOU CAN have a “sticker-free” lawn.
Stickers/goat heads are a summer annual grassy weed. Stickers begin germinating in the spring and will continue being a nuisance through summer, into fall. This weed will be bothersome if left to its own devices until the first hard freeze. More GOOD NEWS: This weed can be controlled by regular watering, pre-emergents to keep it from coming up in the first place, and a thick healthy lawn to keep it smothered out.
- Apply three pre-emergents each year at proper timing to keep many weeds, including stickers, from coming up in the first place. No worries, we will automatically apply pre emergents at proper timing for you. Water pre-emergents into the lawn as soon as possible – water deeply 20 minutes per zone/area.
- Have you noticed that sticker balls love areas in your yard where you have thin or no grass? In the summer, keep stickers smothered-out with thick healthy bermuda grass.
- How to create a thick healthy lawn?
- Fertilize on a regular basis (this is part of your program with Irish Green)
- Water your lawn on a regular basis. Think “long drinks of water” to encourage thick healthy roots and consequently thick bermuda grass. Check out our facebook page at www.facebook.com/irishgreenlawncare for watering instructions as seasons/ temperatures change.
- How to create a thick healthy lawn?
- This is the step everyone wants to skip, but will make a huge difference in how fast you will get this hated weed under control. First let me tell you why it is such an important step in the process: those dreaded sticker balls each have 5 seeds in them! So no, it is not your imagination, stickers multiple at a ridiculously rapid pace. So the solution is to pick-up as many sticker balls as possible, as often as possible (at least weekly) and dispose of the sticker balls. If you have a large lawn and tons of stickers, tie a burlap bag, piece of old carpet, or a furry blanket behind your riding mower. Pick-up as many sticker balls as possible and dispose. Repeat weekly until stickers are gone. Once you have stickers under control, dig out every single plant as soon as you see it!
- Bag when you mow
Conclusion: In addition to being safer for your children, pets, and our watersheds, if we work together you will have a green healthy lawn that you can be proud of and enjoy walking through barefoot.
Safer, Better, Greener Lawn Care
Click HERE for a free quote for our weed control and fertilizer program.
I’m Zach. A technician with Irish green lawn care. We’re excited to announce an update to our current weed control program. It’s specifically designed for the Oklahoma metro and it is going to result in Safer, better, and greener lawn care.
What makes us different than a traditional weed control company?
Well Irish Green has introduced a plant probiotic product that allows us to reduce the amount of synthetic chemicals we normally use by up to 75%. That makes our lawn care safer for your children, pets, and our watersheds.
The benefits of our hybrid weed control program is that your lawn will grow a deeper more web like root system which helps your lawn uptake vital water and nutrients. Your lawn is also going to be able to withstand the drastic weather changes in Oklahoma.
Our own owners, Shar and James McLaughlin have been testing this system for the past 2 years and the results speak for themselves.
If you’re a customer, 2017 is going to be an amazing year. If we work together, your lawn is going to be the best in the neighborhood! If you’re not a customer give us a call at 794-5296 or click the link below to get a free estimate TODAY and start this amazing program that is going to make your lawn safer, better, and greener.
Dec 2, 2016
Wow! Thanksgiving is over and we are heading towards Christmas! It is hard to believe 2016 is coming to an end.
As we head into winter, that means that it is now time for our pre-emergent treatments. Pre-Emergents are the backbone to any and every weed control program. Pre-emergents keep a lot of those spring and summer weeds from growing. Without pre-emergents, it will be much harder to keep your lawn weed free.
The pre-emergent that we will be applying until Christmas specifically targets winter grassy weeds such as: Henbit, Rescue, and Poana.
If you have not had your lawn treated yet this year, now is the PERFECT time to get started in order to have that weed free, green lawn next year.
Give us a call or Live Chat with our office if you have any questions about our pre-emergents or if you would like a free estimate to have your lawn treated.
Irish Green Lawn Care