Feb 27, 2020
Ever step on one of these in the middle of the night?
Yeah, not fun. Try mowing a lawn full of stickers- ouch!
Stickers/ Goat heads/ Sandburs are an annual grassy weed that if left alone can cause havoc in your lawn. Stickers germinate in the Spring and continue to be a nuisance during the summer until the first hard freeze.
GOOD NEWS! Stickers can be controled with pre-emergents to keep them from coming up before they germinate. Then during the summer months, the goal is to keep them smoothered out by maintaining a thick healthy lawn (watering lawn and mowing lawn weekly is a "must do").
To have a sticker free lawn, there is a process and you must be vigilant. These weeds do not play nice! But we are here to guide you in the process to have a sticker-free lawn that you, your family, and pets can enjoy!
The Plan of Attack
Step 1. Apply three pre-emergents each year at proper timing to keep many weeds, including stickers, from coming up in the first place. No worries, we will automatically apply pre emergents at proper timing for you.
Step 2: Water pre-emergents into the lawn as soon as possible. Water DEEPLY 20 minutes per zone/area.
Step 3. Have you noticed that sticker balls love areas in your yard where you have thin or no grass? In the summer, keep stickers smothered-out with thick healthy bermuda grass.
How to create a thick healthy lawn?
- Fertilize on a regular basis (this is part of your program with Irish Green)
- Water your lawn on a regular basis. Think “long drinks of water” to encourage thick healthy roots and consequently thick bermuda grass.
- Check out our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/irishgreenlawncare for watering instructions as seasons/temperatures change. Watering instructions will also be emailed to you by your tech the same day as applications are completed.
Step 4. Bag when you mow
This is the step everyone wants to skip, but will make a huge difference in how fast you will get this hated weed under control. First let me tell you why it is such an important step in the process: those dreaded sticker balls each have 5 seeds in them! So no, it is not your imagination, stickers multiple at a ridiculously fast pace. So the solution is to pick-up as many sticker balls as possible, as often as possible (at least weekly) and dispose of the sticker balls. If you have a large lawn and tons of stickers, tie a burlap bag, piece of old carpet, or a furry blanket behind your riding mower. Pick-up as many sticker balls as possible and dispose. Repeat weekly until stickers are gone. Once you have stickers under control, dig out every single plant as soon as you see it!
The Battle Won:
In addition to the pre-emergents being safer for your children, pets, and our watersheds, we can work together so you will be able to enjoy a healthy lawn that is safe for you to walk on barefoot without those spikey weeds hiding, waiting to hurt you like legos in the carpet.
Safer. Better. Greener.
Jan 31, 2020
Pre-emergent season has arrived in Oklahoma! And the crowds cheer (O.K. maybe only in my head). But these pre-emergent applications are the back-bone to all weed control programs. Pre-emergents keep a lot of weeds from coming up in the Spring and early Summer.
When I am traveling out of state, I am often asked "Why do some companies in Oklahoma spray the fake green or blue dye onto lawns? I normally giggle and explain that it is mainly a marketing technique to remind neighbors that it is time to get their lawn sprayed for pre-emergents. (I often relate it to how I used to keep the oven door cracked when i had the broil setting on. One year my grown daughter asked me why I had the oven door open. I laughed -- because my mother and grandmother always did it that way.)
At Irish Green Lawn Care we want to challenge the reasoning behind using green dye and give you some information on WHY Irish Green Lawn Care does NOT use dye.
- A lot of our customers have pets. Take a look at the green dog below. While we know that brightly dyed hair is currently in style, we are assuming you aren’t necessarily wanting a bright green fur friend walking around in your house on your nice clean carpet.
- Green dye has no benefit for your lawn or soil. A priority at Irish Green is to reduce synthetic chemicals by using organic components such as probiotics and microorganisms. These organic additions to our treatments allow us to use spoonfuls, rather than cupfuls, of the more harmful synthetic chemicals. With that goal in mind, why apply green dye to the lawn when it adds no nutritional benefits and proves nothing except that green dye was put on your lawn.
- Cracks in sidewalks and driveways. Our technicians spray the cracks in the sidewalks, driveways, and right up to the fence line. Additionally, we train our technicians to "trim around the edges of the lawn", where weeds often appear first. After all, the grass is supposed to be green, not your driveway!
Another popular question - "So if you aren’t using green dye, how can I know that you actually treated my lawn?” or “How does your technician know which areas he has sprayed and which he hasn’t?”
Each of our technicians are trained to notice the light natural tint of the treatment so that they can ensure that they’ve sprayed your entire yard. We also train them to see their own footprints in your lawn. When you spray lawns all day, it is easy to learn how to see what you have or have not treated.
However, we understand and want all of our customers to feel confident that their entire lawn has been treated and treated well. So we guarantee our services with a free service call if it is ever needed. More specifically, this time of year with our cold temps, after two weeks since your last treatment, you should be able to see the weeds curling or turning brown. But if you don't see this, we will gladly retreat those weeds and address your concerns at no charge. Oh..and our customers LOVE this new feature... after EVERY application, we will send you a quick email asking you to let us know if you are completely happy with each application! Simply "click the stars" so we can continuously measure your happiness!
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to give us a call or send us an email. We also have instant chat on our website.
Safer. Better. Greener.